Kari: How Now Brown Cow?

March 13, 2009


I feel like I am always starting off a blog post with apologizing for not posting in a while, so I won’t break the trend now. I’m sorry that it’s taken me almost two weeks to update my blog, but these past two weeks have seriously taken a hold of me and I’ve been struggling to keep my head above the water. I’ve been having so much fun immersing myself into the culture here that I totally lost track of time. But, here we go. I’m going to update you on my doings since March 3rd…

March 3rd: Tuesdays are quite possibly my most lazy of days. I don’t have class until 3:15 in the afternoon, a bunch of us normally go out Monday nights so we don’t get in until 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning, then I catch up on sleep. This Tuesday was no different. I got up, ate lunch, went to class, then spent the rest of the day dilly-dallying around the flat until bible study that evening. Paul, our bible study leader was unable to make it that night, so Stuart was voted to lead us in our discussion of the Word. Stu did an awesome job and there was some good discussion, not to mention Stu also brought us some of the most amazing double chocolate cookies. Delicious. After b.stud, I called it a night and headed back to the flat for some rest and relaxation.

March 4th: I normally have class from 9:15 AM until 1:15 PM on Wednesday, but this particular Wednesday was a reading week for the sociology department. A reading week means that classes are canceled for the week and students are suppose to use this week to catch up on reading. So needlessly to say, I did not have class Wednesday, instead there was a conference for undergraduate students put on by the Institution for High Education (?) about globalization. We were encouraged to attend, so Kelsey, Amanda, Bethany and I all went. I’m pretty sure we all went because there was a free lunch of chicken tenders, sausage rolls, and some of the most delicious desserts ever created. We left at tea break because the conference was quite boring. Some of the research presented was interesting, especially the bit about the English language taking over the Nordic Lands, and trying to find ways to prevent that from happening. That night, we headed over to iCafe, like every other Wednesday night. It was quite a cool night because I was able to chat with some people that I haven’t had the opportunity to meet before. I had met Aaron (Big A) a couple of times before, but had never really had the chance to get to know him. We headed back to Uni around 10 PM or so, and I called it a night. I had class at 9:15 the next morning.

March 5th: I sat through class from 9:15 AM-12:15 PM. We started presentations for on my classes this week, so it was cool to see Irish students present. I was told when I first arrived here that Irish students have way less confidence in presenting than American students, and I don’t know if that’s true. I think that my classmates did a great job, even though two of them seemed very nervous before class! After class, I hung around the flat with the flatmates. At 7:30 PM, we went to CU for praise and worship. After CU was the CU Social. It was such a great night. We went to a church hall after CU, danced and played games all night.

March 6th: Friday was a really lazy day. I caught up on the sleep I didn’t get the night before and hung out around the flat. Bethany, Kelsey and I headed into Belfast for some shopping and dinner. We ate a little piece of home by going to TGIFridays. It was good food and great company. We headed back to campus, threw on our sweats and went over to Bethany’s for a movie night. I called it a night after the movie, while some of the girls went out to an International Party. I knew that the next day would not be fun if I didn’t get some sleep.

img_1312March 7th: Today, I woke up to rainy and cold weather, but I still had hope because we were going into Belfast to hike Cave Hill, organized by our good friend Jonny Hutton from CU and small group. We headed into Belfast around noon, and met up with Jonny and some others and had a bit of lunch then headed over to Belfast Castle to start our journey up Cave Hill. We walked around Belfast Castle for a while, and we finally saw that the weather was starting to look up. As soon as our friend, James Gordon, met us we started our climb. It was way steeper than most of us expected, but Baz and I have been training for this day since we’ve been here. As we continued our climb, the weather started getting worse and worse. Soon, we all realized that we were soaked and our shoes were filled with mud. Although the 4 hour climb was wet and cold, I had so much fun and we all decided that we want to venture back to Cave Hill once the weather gets a little bit better, maybe sometime in April or May!

March 8th: It was usual crew at church. Leanna picked us up around 6:40 because Andrew was sick, so he decided to stay home. We went to service, then hung out at the coffee bar for a couple of hours. We then went to Gavin’s house for a couple of hours and half a movie, then called it a night around 11:30 PM.

March 9th: Monday was the same as every other Monday. There was a chance that my class was going to get canceled, so I held on to my phone tight until class time. No such luck. There was class, and although I think my ‘Talk, Interaction and Social Organization’ class is rather interesting, I was having the worst time paying attention. After class I started thinking about writing my Modern Irish Society paper, then took a nap instead. The normal group of internationals decided to go out to the Student Union Bar for the night. No one seemed to be there, so Kelsey and I left around midnight. We tried to make it longer, but we really couldn’t do it!

March 10th: I spent 2 WHOLE HOURS IN THE LIBRARY!!! I know that doesn’t seem like much, but considering I haven’t done much homework since I’ve been here, it was truly a feat for me! I started to read for my paper that is due at the end of this month. I was rather impressed with myself. After the library, I went back to my flat and hung out with my flatmates and then went to small group for outreach. We do our outreach at New Moseley Presbyterian Church. This is the first real outreach night that I attended, and only the second one that our small has attended. Instead of going out to the community that night, we sat and listened to a sermon by the Pastor, Ian, and a testimony by a wonderful woman. I left feeling refreshed and believing, even more, that God works inany one’s life who allows Him to do so. Ian asked our small group to take service in two weeks. I think that this task is going to challenge our small group, but with constant prayer, I feel like we’ll be able to speak God’s Word and tell the congregation what CU and small group is about!

March 11th: Wednesday, I had class from 9:15 AM-1:15 PM. Modern Irish Society was really interesting. We talked about racism in Northern Ireland. I went to library again to read more and start working on my sociology paper. I fortunately got more reading done, but unfortunately didn’t get any of my paper written. Kelsey and I ate dinner that night before getting ready to go out with Ruth, Leanna, and Jayne from church. We decided to go to the Box in Belfast Wednesday night. It was good fun, but we all wish it was a bit busier. We headed back to Jordanstown around 1:00 AM and I headed straight to bed because I had 9:15 AM class in the morning.

img_1340March 12th: Thursday was a short day of class from 9:15-11:15 AM. I spent some of the day in the library, but mostly just reading more. I am quite disappointed with myself that I didn’t get my paper written this week. Thursday night was CU. The sermon was addressing “I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Light.” After CU, we stayed around and talked with a few people, then headed back to the flats. I came back to a long over due unplanned girls night with Baz and Aine. We just sat around and talked for a couple hours before we all headed to bed. Baz had to get up at 5:30 this morning because she was going to Scotland to ice climb. What a brave girl!

So that brings us to today….Friday, March 13th. Happy Friday the Thirteenth!!! I can honestly say the worst thing that happened to me today has been not having the motivation to do anything related to school work. I walked with Kelsey to Whiteabbey Village to run to Spar, then I did a bit of laundry, met up with Andrew so he could drop off some pillows and blankets for my visitors this week, and proceeded to make dinner and have a lazy girls night with Amanda and Kelsey. So I guess you could say that I had a productive day, I was just not being productive in the ways I needed to be.

It is currently 2:00 AM here, and I am heading to bed to get a couple of hours of sleep before Stuart comes and get me at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning! Lauren and Megan are flying in from Minneapolis to spend their spring break with me! I am so excited to see them and I think it’s exactly what I’ve needed; a little Minneapolis Love! I can’t wait to see them!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: